Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Owl Child's Apron Tutorial


My friend Amber asked me for some advice about aprons for children. Apron's are my favorite thing to create so I thought it was about time to create my own. 


But I did get a lot of inspiration and help from Cindy at Skip to My Lou by using her Child's Apron Tutorial. Cindy's tutorial was for a half apron and I wanted to make a full. The owl template that I used was also borrowed from Emily at The Rubber Punkin.
Using a fat quarter bundle from JoAnns.

Materials Used:
4 fat quarters of fabric for apron and Owl
1/8 yd. of fabric for ruffle  
HeatnBond Lite for appliques
Owl template *from therubberpunkin
Apron Pattern *from skiptomylou
Ric Rac trim to match
 1 yd. Ribbon for neck straps
Fusible Interfacing


 I used the larger patterned fat quarter to create the body of the apron bottom. Cut two on the fold of the apron. It helps to fold the fat quarter so that you have 22" inch distance on the fold. 



Using your 1/8 yd. of fabric for the ruffle. Cut a 4"inch x 45" inch strip. Fold in half lengthwise, right sides together, and sew ends together. 

Turn right sides facing out and press. 

At the open ends, using a baste stitch, sew across 1/4" inch from the top. Repeat, creating a second line on the top. 

Keep threads long so that it is easier to create the ruffle. 


Find the center of the ruffle and the center of the apron. Pin together. Then pin the end of the ruffles in place at the top of the apron and begin pulling the threads to create a ruffle. Pin in place. 
Once you have the ruffle even and pinned, place the second Apron body piece on top, right sides together, pin together and then sew. Leave the top section of the apron open so that you an turn the apron so the right sides are showing. Press. 
From a coordinating fat quarter, cut two 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" inch squares. Using one square as the front and the other as the back. 
Print and cut out the pieces of the Owl template. 
Using fabric from the fat quarters and Heat Bond Lite cut out the pieces of the owl and iron on to the apron front. If you have never used Heat Bond, I suggest this tutorial from Sew Like My Mom. 
 I used coordinating thread to machine applique the pieces and light purple flower buttons for the eyes. 

Using ribbon for neck ties, I cut the ribbon to about 12" inches for each tie. I pinned to the top of the apron.
Then using the other (back) 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" inch square, layer with right sides together. Sew leaving the bottom of the square open so that you can turn right side out. Press. 

Cut two at 2 1/2" x 10" inch pieces for the center band. Attaching fusible interfacing to one piece.
Pin the center band to the the bottom of the apron top. Make sure that you put the piece with the interfacing with the apron front. 
Turn down and press in place. 
Attach the center band  bottom to the top of the apron body. 
It should look like the apron below with the center band attached to both the apron top and bottom. 
 Using the same fabric from the center band, cut 5" x WOF strips to make two tie straps. Attach them to the center band. 

As you can see in the side photo, the tie straps are tied in the front of the apron for the photos. 

To bad I don't have my own kids to have model this cute apron for you. 

I don't think Audrey (my Cairn Terrier) would hold still long enough for a photo and it is rather large for her short body

Please message me with any questions you may have with this tutorial. It was very difficult to write clear instructions and I am sure I can clarify some more. 

~Amanda





2 comments:

  1. Hello! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to look it over.

    I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my
    followers! Outstanding blog and outstanding design.
    my web page: pink bedding

    ReplyDelete