Monday, June 11, 2012

Canning: Cracked Black Pepper & Lime Corn Relish


One time, sitting at a wine bar, I struck up a conversation with a lady about canning vegetables. She was shocked that someone my age canned food, and from that moment on, she referred to me as the "Canning Girl". 


I do a lot of things that most girls my age wouldn't normally think of doing. It is these small things that make me "Amanda", so yes- I "can" vegetables and make jam, have a whole room devoted to sewing and would rather spend my money on some great vintage clothing than buy something new. Oh...and I am handy with tools.  


So recently I made this relish because corn was in season and on sale. What a better way to start the summer by sweating your butt off in the kitchen. :-)

From: Farmers' Market Cookbook (2010) Vegetariantimes.com


Ingredients:


2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and quartered
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
6 cups fresh corn kernels ( from 6 ears of corn )
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons kosher salt or coarse sea salt ( not iodized )
4 bay leaves
1 lime, halved and sliced
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper


Chop onions, bell pepper and garlic in food processor or blender until juice and almost paste-like. Stir together corn, sugar, vinegar, lime juice, salt, bay leaves, onion mixture, and 1 1/4 cups water in a large stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring often. Add lime slices, and continue to simmer 10 more minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Before putting in jars stir in cracked black pepper.
Sterilize 4-8 oz. jars and lids. Remove jars one at a time from hot water. Fill jars with relish, leaving 1/4-inch headspace, and dividing lime slices and bay leaves among jars. Seal and process in boiling-water bath. 



I found these great labels for the lids, they have labels for jams and vegetables. 
Garden Fresh Canning Jar Labels from Ink Tree Press at Worldlabel.com

Need some help with the basics of canning?

Have no fear! Canning 101: The Basics from Simple Bites will help you get started. If you need more help or have questions, please message me. 


Happy Canning!
~Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment