Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Baseball Bookend



My dad loves baseball. Childhood memories are filled with being at the baseball field watching my brother, going to Seattle Mariner games in Seattle, and in the summer if I wanted to see my dad...I could find him at the field mowing the green. 

So when I purchased this summers Flea Market Style Magazine, I had to make the baseball bookends for my dad. 


Materials:
6 baseballs (I used old baseballs from my dad's garage)
3/8" wood dowels
super glue
metal T-bar
screws

Step 1: Drill a 3/8" hole halfway through two baseballs (balls #1 and #2; these are your base). Use a vice to hold balls while drilling. 

Step 2: To attach #1 to #2, insert a dowel that has been cut to fit into the balls; glue into place.

Step 3: Drill a 3/8" hold halfway through ball #3 and either ball #1 or #2. 

Step 4: Position ball #3 up against the one you just drilled. Insert pre-cut dowel, and glue into place. 

Step 5: Let glue dry overnight, I used a clamp to keep it tight. 

Step 6: Screw T-bar to bottom of baseballs. 




Please enjoy this tutorial. Let me know if you make your own baseball bookends. Mine are being mailed off to my dad. 

~Amanda

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea & cute gift. I'm not skilled with the power tools - so I'd have to get some manly assistance. Visiting from Thee Networking Blog Hop - Now following :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words Nicole!! Visited your adorable blog and I am now your newest follower.

      Delete
  2. I am a lover of all baseball things. These are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, I love all things baseball too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I really really love these bookends. I totally have intentions to do a baseball themed room someday.

    If you get a chance I would love for you to come link up your tutorial at my Pin Party.
    http://sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com/2012/08/pintastic-monday-link-party-5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, thanks for stopping by. I am following and have linked up to your party. Thanks so much for the invite!

      Delete
  4. Hi Amanda, just emailed you :) But in coming over to pin this project I expanded my view of your blog. I was looking at a smaller screen and then I saw your followers button. So now happily following, disregrad my previous ramble!

    ReplyDelete